PUBLIC STATEMENT ON THE 2019 GENERAL ELECTIONS BY POLICING AGENCIES AND THEIR OVERSIGHT BODIES
The Rule of Law and Empowerment Initiative also known as Partners West Africa Nigeria (PWAN) with the support from the Nigerian Policing Program (NPP) convenes quarterly inter-agency coordination meeting to ensure effective dialogue amongst security agencies, oversight bodies, CSOs and the citizenry. The security agencies, oversight bodies, and CSOs include; Nigeria Police Force (NPF), Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corp (NSCDC), the Armed Forces, Police Service Commission (PSC), National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Ministry of Interior, Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, Citizens Gavel and other CSOs.
In view of the forth coming general elections, PWAN and the participating agencies have deemed it necessary to inform and reassure Nigerians as follows;
- That Nigeria is ours and it is therefore our collective responsibility to give our best to uphold her honor and glory and to ensure that the labor of our heroes’ past is not in vain.
- That all security agencies assure Nigerians that they are adequately prepared to ensure a hitch free general election and that the safety of all citizens, observers and participants are guaranteed before, during and after the elections.
- That citizens are therefore encouraged to go out and exercise their franchise peacefully in obedience to the rule of law.
- That notwithstanding the fact that Nigerian elections in the past have been characterized by electoral malpractices/violence, the security agencies further reiterate their commitment to ensure that all participants have a safe space during the elections.
- All participants are strongly advised to desist from spreading fake news, expressing hate speech, indulging in vote buying or selling, thuggery and all actions or inactions that can jeopardize the safe conduct of the elections.
- That issues of human rights are important and as such the NHRC, PWAN, Citizens Gavel shall be on ground and would deploy all available resources throughout the election period to ensure compliance with human right provisions during the election. Citizens are also strongly advised to report any incidence of human rights violations through the channels listed below.
- All leaders in Nigeria are strongly advised to be nationalistic in their engagements with the people and are encouraged to focus on love, tolerance, peace, progress and unity at all times.
As a Nation, we must always put national interest above individual interest and together, build a strong democratic society.
To report any observations or unusual incidence such as human rights infraction, or any other electoral malpractices pre-, during and post the elections, please call any of these numbers;
NSCDC: 08036171885, 08037459084, 08034976560
Nigerian Army: Phone calls- 08160134303, Whatsapp- 08161507644, Emergency Number- 193
NHRC: 08077091123, 08077091124, 08077091125
PWAN: 08091257245, Twitter & Facebook- @partnersnigeria
Citizens Gavel: 08102842542, Twitter- @citizen_gavel
Download Public Statement